Rates & Policies
- $90 CAD/person/night
- 2 person 4 night minimum charge
- 5 person maximum occupancy (Permission/approval for six needed)
- 50% deposit required to secure your preferred dates
- Remaining balance due 30 days prior to arrival date
- For deposit refund, a written request must be received at least 60 days prior to arrival date
- Bring your own single bed sheets, towels, and personal toiletries
- Bring necessary food and beverages
Rules & Guidelines
In order for the owners to maintain their commitment to Atwood Island and the French River, some rules and guidelines are listed below. Please note, that as our guests, we entrust you with our island. The owners love and respect her and hope you will and treat her the same way.
- Due to the ever present risk of fire, Atwood Island is a smoke free zone. For safety and health reasons, NO SMOKING in TRAPPERS. Limit smoking to the outdoor decks.
- For your safety, let Stephen, our 24/7 on-site island manager, know where you plan to go every day.
- The river has many rocks. Stephen can also inform you of the surrounding waters and some of the hazard areas to be aware of.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal on the river.
- Try to keep noise to a minimum on the island especially after 9:00 pm as many are trying to relax and enjoy the peace.
- Accidents happen. Let Stephen know if you have one.
- Please treat Trappers as if you owned it.
Our island is truly magical but it will only stay that way if you respect her dignity. For those who appreciate her a return invitation is always extended.
We recommend you bring along the following items:
- Small Portable Cooler To Use While Fishing
- Fishing Gear
- Personal Toiletries,
- Single Bed Sheets & Towel
- Rain suit, Warm Clothing & Socks, Mitts/Gloves (a must for Spring/Fall trips)
- A Good Pair of Shoes, Runners and Boots
Layered Outfits are a good idea for spring and fall. Mornings & evenings are cool, day times are warm.
All people fishing require a fishing license. You can purchase them online at www.mnr.gov.on.ca; also check their website for select retail locations.
Retail Locations near us: Most Canadian Tire stores (Parry Sound), Sports Stores (Bass Pro hwy 400) and the French River Trading Post (hwy 69).
We are in Fishing Zone 10
Pleasure Craft Operating Card
To operate a boat, all Canadian residents require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
Non-Residents who rent our boats must fill out a Boating Safety form. We have these at the lodge.
U.S. citizens entering Canada require a United States Passport to re-enter the USA.
Please allow for 6 – 8 weeks to obtain or renew prior to travel to Canada.
Ontario Fire Ban reports, check to see if open fires are prohibited :
Location & Traveling Directions
- Starting from the Canadian side of the Peace Bridge at Buffalo, N.Y.:
- Take the QEW Highway to Exit 100 (the 407 East exit is just south of Toronto) (about 60 miles)
- Follow 407 ETR to exit 66 (the 400 North Barrie exit). (about 40 miles)
- Take 400 North toward Sudbury (old Highway 69 North). (about 60 miles)
- Just north of Barry 400 N will bear to the right and become 69 North.
- You will pass the town of Parry Sound. Use exit 224 for groceries/supplies at Sobeys or Walmart
- Continue on 400 (old 69 North), you will cross the Key, Pickerel and French River Bridges.
- 5 miles (approx. 2.4 km) north of the French River Bridge is the Hartley Bay Road.
- Turn LEFT onto Hartley Bay Road – follow gravel road 9 miles (14.5 km) to the end which will be Hartley Bay Marina
- Valet parking at the Hartley Bay Marina. (For the Marina’s launching and parking fees.)
- Coming from Sault Ste. Marie, take Hwy. 17 East 298 km (185 miles) to Sudbury, Ontario.
- Take Hwy. 69 South (New 400 South) – 100 km (60 miles) to Hartley Bay Road.
- Just past Bear’s Den Lodge sign, turn RIGHT onto the Hartley Bay Road – follow for 14.5 km (9 miles) to Hartley Bay Marina to valet park and valet boat launch.
- PLEASE PURCHASE VEHICLE GASOLINE in ESTAIRE or SUDBURY if arriving from the NORTH.
- PURCHASE GASOLINE IN PARRY SOUND, NOBEL, BRITT or POINTE au BARIL when traveling from the SOUTH
- GASOLINE NOT AVAILABLE in ALBAN or BEYOND AREAS. Listed due to 400 HWY construction.
- Boat gasoline is available at the Hartley Bay Marina and Atwood IS.
- The French River Provincial Park is uncharted waterways. Hydro Topo Maps are NOT available. However, detailed weatherproof maps of the French River are available at Bear’s Den Lodge boat house.
- There may be some delays due to highway construction on 400 N of Toronto.
Traveling By Air:
Flying To Canada? Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
According the Government of Canada: New entry requirement now in effect:
Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.
The Government of Canada’s official website to apply for an eTA.
(It only costs $7 CAD. Most eTA applications are approved within minutes of applying).
Select to see if you need eTA or Visitor Visa here: http://cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp